How much does a private jet charter cost?
The cost to charter a plane can range anywhere from $1,200 – $10,000 per billable flight hour. That range includes a wide variety of aircraft from small turboprops to the most expensive luxury business jets.
Aside from the hourly rate of the aircraft, there many factors which affect private jet charter pricing.
Private Jet Charter Costs — The Full Picture
The main components of a private jet rental cost are:
- Billable Flight Time – Based on the hourly rate of the aircraft and the number of flight hours.
- Fuel Surcharge – Charges vary by type of plane, distance flown and the cost of fuel.
- Crew Fees – Per diem payments, hotel fees, meals, etc.
- Landing, Handling & Incidental Fees – Charges vary by type of plane, airport and other details.
- Federal Excise Tax (FET) – Domestic flights incur a tax of 7.5% on top of all charges.
Want more detail on these fees and other useful info? Visit our Glossary for more information.
Private Jet Rental Cost Breakdown
Here is a sample breakdown of the cost to charter a jet from LA to Aspen, round-trip:
||Los Angeles, CA to Aspen, CO
||2.5hrs each way
||2 Days / 1 Night
|Flight Time (5hrs)
|Federal Excise Tax (7.5%)
This sample breakdown shows all the anticipated fees involved in the average jet rental price.
Clearly, the largest expense is the Flight Time charge.
How is billable flight time determined when flying private?
Billable flight time fees make up the bulk of any private jet charter cost. This cost is paid to the owner of the plane in the form of an hourly rate.
Billable flight time is time in the air plus any additional repositioning fees and/or daily minimum flight time adjustments. Time on the ground does not count toward billable flight time.
- You book a one-way flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
- The flight time is approx. 1hr in a Light Jet.
Since most aircraft have a 2-hr daily minimum flight time commitment, your billable hours may be invoiced like this:
|Flight Time (live)
|BILLABLE FLIGHT TIME
Private Jet Hourly Rates — Pricing by Aircraft Type
The following hourly rates represent a range of prices for aircraft within each major category. Exact rates for specific aircraft within each class will vary:
||Ballpark Hourly Rate
||$1,200 – $1,800
|Very Light Jet
||$1,500 – $2,250
||$2,200 – $3,000
||$2,800 – $3,800
||$3,800 – $5,000
||$5,000 – $8,000